The Municipality of Mosina consists of 21 village districts and the town of Mosina, where local government authorities reside. The municipality is located in the central part of Wielkopolska, surrounded with moraine hills, woods of Wielkopolski National Park, the Warta river meadows of Rogalin Landscape Park with tremendous centuries-old oaks, and finally with numerous lakes formed in old river beds of the Warta.
Located just 18 kilometres south of Poznań, Mosina lies at the verge of Poznań’s Warta Gorge and the Śrem basin, alongside the MosinaCanal. The train line connecting Poznań and Wrocław calls at Mosina, which further adds to the town’s attraciveness. If travelling by car, you can easily reach Poznań, Stęszew, Śrem and Kórnik.
Mosina in figures
area 171 km2
agricultural land 49,2 %
forests 37,5 %
residential areas 3,7 %
surface waters 2,5 %
other 7,1 %
- main national roads: No.5: Poznań - Wrocław (12 km away), No.11: Poznań - Katowice (19 km away); both national roads can be comfortably reached via regional road No.431
- main international roads: A2 motorway (10 km away, access via regional road No. 430)
- direct train connections (major cities): Poznań and Wrocław
- airport: Poznań- Ławica (ca. 25 km away)
- banks: GBS (headquarters), BZ WBK (branch), PKO S.A. (branch), PKO BP (branch)
Mosina on the cards of history
The first historical mention about Mosina dates back to 1284. This was then a village which belonged to the local nobility. In 1302 its owner, Mikołaj, Voivode of Kalisz, moved it to its present location and granted it city rights. In 1429 King Władysław Jagiełło placed it under the Magdeburg City Law. This is the period when Mosina established its coat of arms: a white eagle in a crown on a red background.
Mosina’s history is quite turbulent reflecting the complex past of Poland. One of the most difficult periods was the time of the Swedish invasion in the 17th century, which significantly disturbed the town’s economic prosperity. After the second partition of Poland in 1795 Mosina became part of Prussia. During the Revolutions of 1848 the town was taken over by a unit of insurgents led by Jakub Krauthofer–Krotowski who on 3 May declared Poland’s independence. The uprising, however, was soon suppressed.
The 19th century was a period of the rapid economic growth for Mosina, which was influenced mainly by the construction of the railway line to Wrocław and the development of local enterprises. The town’s population was growing and in 1909 reached 4,412.
World War II was a tragic period in the history of Mosina. On 20 October 1939 the Nazis executed 15 inhabitants of the city. To commemorate this sad event the central square in Mosina is called the Square of 20 October.